[racket-dev] proposal: `data' collection

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 2 16:30:28 EDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> In both of these cases,
> I think that the *proper* way to tackle the changes is to move code
> between packages (even if it keeps the same owner) -- *not* to create
> the connections and leave the code where it is.

This is good software engineering reasoning. I like that part.

;; ---

I still think you're trying to say

 1. collects should be packages
 2. packages should have module-like properties
	(in particular, the dependence tree should be a dag)

In a way I agree with this in principle. But, PLT acts on evidence
that this is useful. The only use I see in your messages is an improved
distribution.

;; ---

For Chicago:

1. collect evidence that size matters to anyone out there besides you

2. propose a concise (one slide, three bullets, 5 words per bullet) definition of packages

3. show us three applications why this is useful OTHER THAN distribution/size concerns
	(i grant you the SE reason but it's not an application)

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.