[racket-dev] proposal: `data' collection

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 2 12:13:21 EDT 2010

1. Size matters even if it doesn't really matter. Seeing these numbers makes it clear that our download will be called a behemoth and an ms style colossus. We all know that in the end, this number is irrelevant. PLT comes with a lot of extra stuff and that stuff is useful. But among the hacker crowd this number can turn things against us and they influence a lot of the rest of the world.

2. And yes, even more importantly, the connectivity graph among collects may concern us. Why however? Collects aren't modules and it is easily possible to work in parallel on interconnected collects.

I think this really gets at the questions,

  what is the purpose of a collect?

Even if we ignore the distribution idea, it should concern us that we don't have a concise answer for that. Even Java seems to have one. Why can't we?

3. I still do not understand what Eli calls a package.
  -- Is it more than a module and less than a collect?
  -- Is it a bunch of collects?
  -- Is it something you want to distribute?

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.