[plt-dev] PLT sickness

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 21:45:11 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:

> Scheme makes it easy for everyone to "do their own thing" without too much
> pain.
>
> Not blowing sunshine here...
>
> Didn't it take MFlatt or Robby to suggest that all of the R6RS
> implementers use the same test suite?
>
> Reuse just isn't part of the culture I guess?

Designing a generic reusable library is a hard problem in any language.

Scheme makes it harder to build one API everyone will use, since you have so
many ways of doing same thing, and different people might prefer different
APIs.

It is also often easier to build a complicated lambda, then to determine
whether that lambda should have been abstracted to its own modules.

On top of it we also have the collects vs planet problem that reduces
reusability -
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2010-January/037737.html

It will definitely take a lot of work to change all that, unfortunately.