[plt-dev] PLT sickness

From: Casey Klein (clklein at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 27 21:06:38 EST 2010

I think this is what Robby meant, but I don't see that much effort
duplicated between FastTest and Redex.

Yes, both let you generate random numbers, strings, and symbols, but
the emphasis is different in each case. FastTest gives you a ton of
control over the distribution of these values because it's a general
purpose library, and sometimes you really want your nats from a
Poisson distribution. In contrast, number generation is almost an
afterthought in Redex. Constants like numbers and strings are the
boring part of a Redex model, so Redex's test generation isn't very
creative when choosing them. Redex devotes maybe 75 LOC to this task,
and that's probably far too many -- I bet we'd do just as well with an
even stupider strategy, given the particular domain.

The majority of Redex's test generation code is devoted to deriving
generators from grammars. Robby has used Redex's test generator to
test 2htdp/image, so maybe there's a place for something like this in
a more general library like FastTest, but no one has wasted energy
duplicating this work yet.