[plt-dev] random testing, we need to do more of this

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 10:57:31 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> BTW, Carl, please don't take this as criticism of FastTest, which is
> great for the setting that you developed it for: Your work on this, as
> you may remember, was the original inspiration to work on QuickCheck and
> teaching languages in the first place.

Not at all, I'm well aware that FastTest is still at the "prototype"
stage.  But if everyone develops their own application-specific
version (e.g. one for ACL2, one for Deinprogramm, one for PLT Redex,
etc.), there will be a huge duplication of effort and nothing for
straightforward Scheme code.  I'd much rather see a generic library
for random testing in Scheme, for which all the others can be a thin
veneer.  FastTest was my attempt to start on that.  So far, though, no
one has pushed further in that direction (either by giving feedback on
mine or starting their own generic library).

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.