[plt-dev] random testing, we need to do more of this

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 09:51:45 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Sorry if I mischaracterized - FastTest does have higher-order
> generators, but no generator datatype, so compositionality is limited.
> The most useful set of generators that's missing is what I mentioned -
> generators for procedures.  (And these, as far as I know, can't be
> constructed from simple generator procedures, as used by FastTest.)

The design of FastTest is probably somewhat quirky, due to initially
being motivated by DoubleCheck, the ACL2 version, which is necessarily
first-order.  Nevertheless -- I'm not sure what you want from a higher
order generator.  If I wanted a random function from strings to
integers, I'd probably write (lambda (x) (random-integer)).  If you
have more experience with these things, please let me know what else
is needed.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.