planet proxy/mirror ==> Re: [plt-dev] Fwd: [plt-scheme] Download links in PLaneT

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 20 17:51:37 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>wrote:

> Let me just double check something to be sure I'm on the same page.
> The planet mirror will completely avoid the current planet server,
> right? So, it has to be able to make the decision: given a planet
> package request (including the version number of the mzscheme loading
> the package) and the information on the mirror, which package to
> serve, right?

Yes - the planet proxy/mirror has the same decision logic (sans bugs) that I
have observed from the current planet server externally, so once a package
is downloaded it can avoid hitting the planet server again.

> I'm thinking you don't want to duplicate that code, right? Do you have
> a plan for that? One thing would be for you to actually run a planet
> server on the mirror, no?

I agree that generally it's better not to duplicate code.  In this case I
built the proxy/repo (and add the mirror/crawler in the next release) as a
proof of my bzlib/* framework, so the duplication is currently intentional
(a part of my plan was to test the framework).

The proxy/mirror is currently only for planet client consumption instead of
human, so it is not a verbatim planet server clone.  But building on top of
bzlib/shp will allow me to extend that way as well.

It would be interesting to see if the two can/should be merged/collaborated
in the future.  That is if you are interested of course ;)

Also - thanks for exposing the archives link - that's exactly what I was
looking for.  Appreciated.

Thanks,
yc