[plt-dev] `rico' and ".rkt"

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 15 12:26:19 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> * I agree that it's good to have the "#!" executable be called "racket".
>
> * I'm ambivalent about having a monolithic "racket" or "rico" command.  A
> small downside is that monolitic does feel more like a closed platform.  A
> small upside is that it looks (deceptively) friendly in demos.
>
> * I suspect that "rico" will make Googling harder, in multiple ways.  I'd
> suggest avoiding racketeering puns, and incorporating "Racket" or some
> abbreviation of same into every executable command name.  Examples:
> "racket-setup" "racket setup" "rkt-setup" "rkt setup".  This also makes it
> easier to find for people who find commands for software they know the name
> of by doing filename completion (a few Scheme implementations have this
> small usability failing).

FWIW, part of this is motivated from the fact that we're coming from a
situation where the dev tools are spread out among a bunch of
executables and you'd never really guess where some of the
functionality is (quick: where is zo-file decompilation?).

I have sense (possibly wrong) sense that adding fewer executables to
the path is more friendly, but also having a single command means that
we get a chance to print something out when there is nothing on the
command line, but as someone who pushed for combining all of the dev
tools into a single thing, using a common prefix also seems okay.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.