[racket-dev] changes to release notes?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Dec 17 17:48:05 EST 2010

Three hours ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> Am I doing this wrong? (If so, how should I be doing this?)
> C:\Users\Administrator\git\plt\doc\release-notes\drracket>git add HISTORY.txt
> The following paths are ignored by one of your .gitignore files:
> doc/release-notes
> Use -f if you really want to add them.
> fatal: no files added

It is being ignored by the .gitignore file in "doc" which says:

  # most things here are generated, so ignore everything, and explicitly
  # add things that need to be added -- use `git add -f' in such cases.

This was a kind of a way to deal with the contents of "doc" that has
lots of generated stuff, and a few things that are checked in.  So as
git told you, you can use `-f' to force adding it and ignore the
ignore file.

Here's an alternative "doc/.gitignore" that avoids ignoring the
currently checked in files:

  # most things here are generated, so ignore everything, except for the
  # few things that are in the repo/

I'm not sure that adding this is a good idea, so I didn't change it.
For example, if you add some new content you'd still need to modify
it.  Feel free to check it in if you think it'd be better...