[racket-dev] [racket] Question about fields in Racket OO

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 08:56:47 EST 2010

Does 'define' really mean 'make a field'? I thought fields had to be
specially designated so that get-field would know about them...

Yes, this program errors:

#lang racket

(define c%
  (class* object% ()
    (field [x 1])
    (define y 2)
    (super-new)))

(define o (new c%))

(field-names o)
(get-field x o)
(get-field y o)

--

I agree that 'define' is like making a field, but fields are something
special too.

Jay

Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay