[racket-dev] In support of em dash

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 22:39:39 EST 2010

On 12/13/10 9:52 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> See
>
> http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=11049

I find the line wrapping issue much less bothersome than using an en
dash with spaces in place of an em dash.   Also, that's a problem with
the browser, not the document.  It's true, Firefox does a poor job with
the line breaks, but Chrome gets it right.  I'm sure Scribble has to
jump through a lot of hoops to look good in a lot of browsers, and I
appreciate that, but it shouldn't produce the wrong document because
some browsers do a poor job wrapping lines.

I think the default should be to use an — with no spaces, but I'd
be OK if I had a way to write "use an em dash here, damn it" and have it
work in PDF and HTML mode.

Thanks,
David

Posted on the dev mailing list.