[racket-dev] In support of em dash

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 21:43:21 EST 2010

Scribble currently renders "---" as " -- " in HTML, which is documented
as "a typical convention for em-dashes in HTML," but I can't find any
evidence of that convention.

There is a standard HTML entity, —, for em dashes.  Why not use it?

I took a quick survey of what other tools do.  I think these support
changing Scribble to render using em dashes (my preference):

Tools that render "---" as "—":

- WordPress
- tex2page
- HeVeA
- RDoc

Tools that render "—" as "—":

- Blogger (e.g., the Racket blog)
- javadoc

Tools that render em dashes consistently in HTML and PDF (although using
something other than "---" to indicate an em dash):

- Wikipedia (WP:EMDASH)

I think these support changing scribble to render something else (not my
preference):

Tools that render "---" as "---":

- ocamldoc
- scaladoc

Tools that render "---" as "--":

- texi2html
- latex2html

I found no tool that does what Scribble currently does.

David

Posted on the dev mailing list.