[racket-dev] (round), etc. in Typed Racket

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 10:26:00 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> (More broadly I find the numeric tower more hassle than help. A lot of
> my code cares about efficiency and interacting with C libraries, so
> perhaps I'm atypical.)

While I feel your pain, I think we should try to move beyond the
implicit dichotomy here.  I want Racket to have a numeric tower that
is:

a) easy to get the right answer with
b) efficient
c) works well with Typed Racket (meaning that it's possible to reason
about statically)

I think that we're not there yet, but I'm not giving up.

More specifically, what aspects of the numeric tower are a hassle?  We
should think about how they can be less of a hassle, without giving up
the other things we want.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu