[racket-dev] enter! verbosity

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 11 17:54:26 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> About a minute ago, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what your intended use is (= what is that "language in
>> > question"), but IIUC, it sounds like you really want
>> >
>> >  racket -I typed/racket
>>
>> Almost, apparently I need to throw a "-i" in there to get the REPL
>> back.
>
> (You need an `-i' only there are other non configuration options on
> the command line.)

In 5.0.99.4, if I run "racket -l typed/racket", I get no REPL.  If I
run "racket -i -l typed/racket", I get a REPL.

> No, `enter!' is doing very little -- it just requires the specified
> module (in that noisy way, which is related to tracking the modules on
> the way so they can be reloaded later if needed, as well as loading
> them with inlining disabled to make it possible to reload), and
> switches your namespace to the one that corresponds to the module.
> It's a (very) poor man's sandbox-like thing.
>
> For what you need, it sounds like -I is the right thing, and it should
> eventually use the reader for the specified language.  (The sandbox
> will too.)  Making `enter!' switch the reader sounds more potentially
> problematic.

Okay, then I'll wait for "eventually" with respect to the reader extensions.  :)

>> Sorry for my relative cluelessness about enter! and the racket
>> command line.
>
> Ugh, given that Noel seconded this, I had most of the
> default-to-silent-loading thing done already.  Any other votes for or
> against?  (I'll probably commit the option anyway, and just keep the
> default as it is unless more people want it to be quiet by default.)

Oh, I still think it's probably best for enter! to be quiet.  I just
won't be using it as often as I expected.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.