[racket-dev] Hacking on the collects

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Dec 6 22:50:49 EST 2010

10 hours ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you do a pull request on github, it will not be useful because
> > github is a mirror and I'll just need to get the patch some other
> > way anyways. I'd rather you sent the patch directly to me.
>
> This isn't quite right.  As Eli explained (I think on this list),
> it's easy to merge from a separate github repository.  I find it
> easier than fiddling with the git patch management commands.

They're both pretty easy to deal with.  See

  http://git.racket-lang.org/intro.html#collaborating_with_others

for a few options with recipes to follow when doing this.

BTW, one more thing to consider is that a pull-request can be done in
the usual way even for a repo that is hosted on github.  The main
difference is that you end up sending a pull request to a person who
would do the pulling instead of clicking through the GH gui (resulting
in an email that I receive and forward to the responsible party).  The
recievier side is doing the same thing anyway -- using git directly
rather than using the github interface (which is essentially
cherry-picking commits from one repo to another).