[racket-dev] Removing Xexpr preference from Web Server

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Dec 4 16:23:45 EST 2010

YC wrote at 12/04/2010 04:19 AM:
> After reading through the README, my vote is for a new "web-server2"
> collection and keep web-server frozen as is except to fix bugs.

I'm still wondering how many people are actually dependent on Web Server
right now.  I think that this number might grow exponentially, but might
be only a handful of people right now.

FWIW, my priorities regarding Web Server backward-compatibility, most
important to least important:

(1) Keep moving Web Server development forward.

(2) Keep/make *new* Web Server development a good experience, including
giving good demo.  ("web-server" is a little preferred to "web-server2".)

(3) Have an idea for how to do backward-compatibility in the future.
Maybe this involves PLaneT-like specs of which version of the API is
used (which, incidentally, would be useful for "#lang racket/base" as well).

(4) Handle migration somehow for people currently using Web Server.
This should not require major changes, but might require them to change
their source to point to a compatibility library/language.  The others
are higher priority.

Again, most of my Web work is on architectures predating the Racket Web
Server, and I've only done a couple small apps using Web Server
(research data-browsing/labeling apps), so I'm mostly unaffected.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/