[racket-dev] [racket] Exploratory programming?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Dec 1 21:52:28 EST 2010

Four hours ago, engineer at alum.mit.edu wrote:

> 2.  Search Manuals breaks the browser's Back button.  Here's a simple
> example.
> a. Open http://docs.racket-lang.org/
> b. Type "modulus" in the "search manuals" box and hit Enter
> c. No matches found, so change the highlighted text to "modulo"
> d. Click on one of the results
> e. Click the browser's back button
> f. I'm not "back" at the list of results
>
> I have been very impressed with the level of documentation, but I
> (and my students) have often found frustration in searching.

That's an issue with URLs and with how your browser decides to
implement history navigation.  When you're done with (b), you get to
the search page with the query in the url "...?q=modulus".  You now
change the string and follow a link, then go back -- to the same url
with the original query.  At this point, Chrome reinitializes the page
in a way that makes "modulus" re-appear in the input field, while
FireFox preserves the state as you left it and will not do that.  I
know how to make FF behave like Chrome, but that involves
re-initializing the page, which means that using the back button will
be much more painful.