[racket-dev] RFC: Coding Guidelines

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 16:27:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Jay McCarthy wrote:
>
>> We're attempting to write down coding guidelines for the project.
>>
>> Here is a first attempt:
>>
>> http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay/tmp/201008161509-guidelines.html
>>
>> Please comment.
>
> You write
>
> "As long as your code fulfills its promises and meets each of these criteria, you can push incrementally.
>
> For example, I may be working on adding an exhaustive queue library to Racket. I imagine supporting 30 different functions across 5 different queue implementations. I don't have to wait to push until all 150 function implementations are documented, tested, and stressed. I can push whenever I make progress on each of the required points."
>
> Either this is contradictory, or I'm misunderstanding it.  The first paragraph suggests that the code must meet each of the criteria; the second suggests that as long as it's *closer* to meeting the required criteria, it's fine.

Maybe you can help me say it better. What I'm trying to get at is that
150 functions is perfect to me, but if I only promise 30 functions and
meet the criteria for each of them, then I can commit even though it
is not "perfect". Progress here is meeting the 4 points for each new
function I push.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>