[racket-dev] new release policy

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Aug 12 07:28:34 EDT 2010

On Aug 11, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Slowdown: The slowdown is a first step in the
> transition of Racket from a research language to
> a stable development language. People should
> eventually see small n major releases per year
> and N minor releases perhaps.

I don't think that this makes any difference.  The code keeps moving,
so fewer releases means more changes in each release.  Therefore, the
only way to slow down things is for people to spend less time making
up new code.

> Release test-and-delay steps: When we used to
> have such a policy for releases in the past,
> every single release became a nightmarish process
> of perpetual delays.

(Same +1 as in the previous reply.)

> Stability: As discussed at PLT day, we are
> aware of instabilities in the API (and the language
> on rare occasions). To this end, Jay will develop
> a test engine similar to DrDr and run regression
> tests. These tests will work as follows:

One thing about stability that bugs me is pushing changes and
extensions that are likely to change.  For example, I'm worried about
Jay's push for a number of new features as a response to a blog post,
it looks like coding in haste that is likely to change.