[plt-dev] pushes & pulls & building

From: Stevie Strickland (sstrickl at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 07:36:26 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 7:22 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Apr 28, Stevie Strickland wrote:
>> Even more so that you don't need to run anything special like a git
>> server for it;
>
> (Strictly speaking, there is no such a thing as a "git server" -- in
> the plt case, it's just a machine that lets a bunch of people ssh in.)

Well, I just meant that I didn't have to set up gitolite or something; it just works as is.  You only need that if you want multiple users without different accounts and such.

>> I switched to the version above because I plan on coordinating with
>> other people like Sam for projects, and I don't want to have to
>> create new user accounts on my lab machine for each person with whom
>> I want to work.
>
> (Yes, shared work also makes using a central repository attractive.)

Yes.  Also, I could still use a similar system to what I was doing with my own machine, just making sure to push now and then to my clone in the PLT usr/ space.  However, I just moved to using the usr/ space as my coordinating repository because it means the exact same workflow across all my machines.  This avoids a different workflow on my lab machine, which would otherwise hold the coordinating repository.

Stevie

Posted on the dev mailing list.