[plt-dev] pushes & pulls & building

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 27 15:47:50 EDT 2010

John Clements wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 11:31 AM, sstrickl at ccs.neu.edu wrote:
>> The story for rebasing isn't quite as clear-cut as I presented if
>> you're pushing out of a clone, because you'll also have to fix the
>> history on your regular repo via a similar rebase when you update that.
>> So I wouldn't suggest it for people until you understand the issues
>> involved.
> Ambient git-related stress alert level color: #EE1111

Perhaps it's because we're still working out how to do things, but git
practice seems to be at war with its data model. Branches aren't for
separate branches of development; we should use separate repositories
instead. Rebasing* seems to be about ignoring git's natural handling of
merges by making it emulate a really-hard-to-use variant of subversion.

Can anyone explain, succinctly, what's going on?

* The name suggests the question: Is git on crack?

Posted on the dev mailing list.