[plt-dev] pushes & pulls & building

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 13:28:58 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> In order to do a push this morning, I had to do a pull. Which
> suggested that I should probably rebuild; I started this process at
> 9:30 this morning (it is now 12:30) and I am only just started on
> rendering the docs (my changes involve changes to the docs). It is
> taking so long because there have been pushes since I pulled and those
> pushes required long rebuild times; well, that and my machine is slow.
>
> So, this doesn't seem feasible. What do others do?

This is exactly what I complained about before. Before Git, I would
update to the HEAD whenever I observed a cool commit or needed to make
a big change, but otherwise would be a few weeks behind. Now, I
upgrade every morning to be on the cusp. It is a little annoying, but
I've dealt.

> If I had a way to push from my slow machine to my fast machine I could
> do the build and testing there, I think, and I would have been done
> hours ago, I expect. Is that a fruitful path to consider?

There's probably a handful of commands that do this that Kevin and Eli
can tell you about. I've read about this as a common thing.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay