[plt-dev] naming poll

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 13:11:09 EDT 2010

At Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:37:35 -0400, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > ("racket racket-tool"
> >  "racket raco")
> >
> > I know that "raco" wasn't on the list, and it loses the RICO joke. But
> > it's short, easy to pronounce, shares the first three letters with
> > "Racket", and is easy to explain as "RAcket COmmand".
>
> If we're taking write-ins, I would suggest "racket teer", "racket
> racketeer", and "racket plt".  But I never know if we're still
> brainstorming, done with that but still deciding, or firmly decided
> and leaving the issue closed.  I think it would be more productive to
> pick either end of that spectrum, and go through the "deciding"
> process exactly once.  If it already happened, let's take what's in
> git for better or for worse and move on.  If it hasn't happened, let's
> just leave the floor open to suggestions until the release process is
> upon us and weigh the options then.

I prefer as much as anyone to just decide and move on. Maybe this
particular decision doesn't work that way, though. It seems that we
have to make a guess together, then try it out, then guess again based
on how well the previous one worked out as it plays into many other
decisions.

Meanwhile, the release process is upon us! Today is April 23, and the
date to have stable snapshot for testing is May 15. Between now and
then, we have to update many scripts, documentation, web pages, and
more --- often in ways that depend on the tool name. We're already very
short on time for this level of decision.

Posted on the dev mailing list.