[plt-dev] Q. about local branches

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 06:56:46 EDT 2010

I don't know of a way. You gotta adapt your thinking: git comes from a
world where random beardos are hacking away on the Linux kernel and
there is no concept of a master repository. People pull patches from
multiple sources and distribute their changes to multiple unrelated
groups. In this situation mirroring repositories doesn't make a great
deal of sense. PLT's usage is much much much more centralised.

If you want to create a branch that is propagated on the server you
have to inform the server of this. This is known as a "remote branch".
Eli and I had a discussion about the best way to do this. Here's the
soln:

git checkout -b branch-name
git push origin branch-name --set-upstream

First command creates a new branch. The second command sends the
branch to the server called origin and tells the local repository to
follow changes on the server's branch. Now any changes made on your
local branch branch-name can be pushed to the server and git pull will
get any changes from the server.

HTH,
N.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
> What I learned today: local branches don't get propagated to the master repository on a 'push' unless there's some remote tag that refers to them.
>
> I had heretofore assumed that I could use 'git push' in much the same way as 'svn commit' to guarantee, e.g., that when leaving work nothing was "trapped" on that machine.  IIUC, the behavior of local branches means that this isn't so.
>
> Question: is there some easy way to ensure that the local repository is fully mirrored on the server?  Aside from
> - not creating branches, or
> - hard-coding the list of branches so that they can all be checked?

Posted on the dev mailing list.