[plt-dev] Racket-tool bugs me; are we up for another poll?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Apr 21 22:52:01 EDT 2010

On Apr 21, Robby Findler wrote:
> I'll ask for a poll sometime tomorrow when (presumably) there are no
> more suggestions coming.

An additional point to consider beyond what I sent earlier is that
these votings are becoming very ineffective -- I certainly got very
tired of this whole naming issue, so I'm unlikely to spend much time
thinking about it properly.

Also, providing a sea of options where most of it are completely
impractical[*] will reduce the effictiveness of such a poll as a
representation of opinions.

[rant on]

[*] Names like "r" (sysadmins will commit suicide before putting that
in /usr/bin, not to mention people who will be able to use it because
they have some "r" alias), "rk", "ra", and "rt" (same here), "tekcar"
(cute, less spellable than "esac", and more twitch-inducing),
"moblammo" (huh?), "krkr" (huh??), "rorr" (huh????).  Perhaps I should
also suggest some of my own:

- rm  rx
    (Racket Machine, and Racket Extensions, right?)

- &^%#;@*!!  })'`&:#
  \\\
    (Those are two valid filenames, and the second one has a newline
    in it...  Hey, it's unique, and you'll have to be a unix guru to
    be able to run that command -- instant filter for true hackers)
    (Oh, and on Windows machines drop the ":" from the second name,
    but instead of a newline make it CRLF -- make them suffer!)

On Apr 21, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> If you guys are all in the same room sharing drugs, you should at
> least keep away from a keyboard.

+9

> I was fine with `rico'. --PR

(+1)