[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 20 09:13:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Anyone see a solution that lets `racket' work for everything? Or does
> this mean that we really are forced to have at least two main
> executables?

One advantage of having two commands is that the interface is easier
for external tools to work with.  For example, Stevie and I recently
wrote a bash completion script for `racket' and `rico', which allows
tab completion for things like this:

> rico p<tab>
pack planet

> racket --no-
--no-compiled   --no-init-file  --no-lib

If we combined them in the way you've suggested, the tab completion
for the subcommands wouldn't work nearly as well.
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.