[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 19 11:47:57 EDT 2010

On Apr 19, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Similar to the way that `rico docs' serves the role of `plt-help', we
> could have `rico games' replace `plt-games'.

+1.

> For GUI launchers for docs and games under Windows and Mac OS X, I
> suggest `Rico Docs' and `Rico Games'. It's ok to have spaces in
> GUI-app names, and then the documentation can refer to `rico docs'
> and `rico games' commands (i.e., they work whether someone tries to
> use them via a command line or by clicking on a GUI app).

Ha!  I like the resulting pun...

So then the Windows installer could crawl over these names and create
start menu entries so that "Rico/Foo" runs "Rico Foo.exe" etc.  One
question is whether the menu name should be "Rico" or something more
meaningful (like "Utilities" or "Tools" or "Apps"), but given the good
pun for the docs, it's probably best to keep it as "Rico".

> Otherwise, I think we should keep `planet', `setup-plt', and
> `MrEd.app'/`MrEd.exe' for a while. Also, although I think we should
> keep `plt-web-server' for a while, maybe we should move to `rico
> web-server'.

+1.