[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 19 11:45:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Similar to the way that `rico docs' serves the role of `plt-help', we
> could have `rico games' replace `plt-games'.
>
> For GUI launchers for docs and games under Windows and Mac OS X, I
> suggest `Rico Docs' and `Rico Games'. It's ok to have spaces in GUI-app
> names, and then the documentation can refer to `rico docs' and `rico
> games' commands (i.e., they work whether someone tries to use them via
> a command line or by clicking on a GUI app).

I thought "rico" was just our administrative script name.  Why are we
naming applications after it?  If we are "PLT" and our software is
"Racket", those should be the names in our application titles.

> Otherwise, I think we should keep `planet', `setup-plt', and
> `MrEd.app'/`MrEd.exe' for a while. Also, although I think we should
> keep `plt-web-server' for a while, maybe we should move to `rico
> web-server'.

I think "rico games" and "rico web-server" are odd.  I would expect
"rico" to include all our essential distribution management tasks
(compilation, documentation, package installation), but not games or
web servers.  Those seem like separate applications to me.  Or are we
opposed to distributing multiple executables?

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.