[plt-dev] usr repositories

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 17 16:05:36 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> Well, *now* would be a good time to ask questions!
> Ok. Funky dev processes are fair easier with Git than svn. Is the
> intention to mandate any such process? For example, all dev. on
> branches, merge to trunk when finished? From the DrDr emails I've
> received indicating a commit has broken the build (i.e. no mzscheme
> exists, all tests fail, everyone gets emailed) I'm assuming most
> people delegate building and running tests to DrDr. Are we happy with
> this? I generally am and don't envisage any changes to my process
> beyond more branching. I'm asking 'cause we're experimenting with Git
> at Untyped and attempting to introduce a more complex process. I think
> our requirements are different: we have multiple interdependent
> projects (e.g. customer app and web framework) so we can easily break
> a project due to changes to another. PLT doesn't have this issue but
> there might be some small value to being able to easily release
> patches.
> N.

DrDr should be a last resort, not our main testing facility.  Other
people build off the shared repository; it shouldn't be the common
place for a round-trip during develop/test/fix/repeat.  People should
test whatever their changes are likely to impact.  Hopefully git will
make this easier on us so people won't be so tempted to commit without

Posted on the dev mailing list.