[plt-dev] Migrating branches to git

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Apr 10 17:30:19 EDT 2010

On Apr 10, David Herman wrote:
> Forgive me for seeking Cliff Notes, but if we've only used branches
> as "tags" -- to wit, branches but no merges -- are we ok without
> additional action on our part?

These fall under the category of branches that you'd want to preserve
in the migration.  That is: I need to be told about them explicitly,
but in addition I need to be told to convert them to a tag.  But if
this is truly like a tag, with no commits on the branch, then you can
just tell me which revision number it is, and creating it in the
converted git repository is even easier this way.

And the same applies for the post-migration part: once the repository
is set up, you clone it and get your tag, then I remove it from the
server and you keep it (unless it's a tag with a public utility).
This means that an alternative for all of this is to check the commit
message that you're interested in, and then create the tag yourself in
the converted git and avoid all the hassle.