[plt-dev] some Racket proposals & implementation

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 5 14:39:23 EDT 2010

On Apr  5, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> A related problem: What do we do with languages like `slideshow' and
> `scribble', which currently build on `scheme'? If all we change is
> the default printing mode, then it probably won't break any
> Slideshow or Scribble programs to simply switch `slideshow' and
> `scribble' to build on `racket' instead of `scheme'.

(Is there a plan to eventually have racketified versions of these?)

> The name `define-struct-type' would be more accurate, and it's
> conveniently different from `define-struct', but it's long. Is there
> something shorter (and not `define-struct') that would be a good
> abbreviation of `define-struct-type'?

IMO, `define-struct-type' is slightly worse than just long -- it
sounds like it would be part of the reflective struct api.

[I don't have any good ideas, but if it does make sense to have the
lambda-like form, then that might lead to such a name.  Something like

  (define-constructor (ufo #:posn p #:vel [vel (velocity 0 0)]))

except that it should really be `define-constructor-and-related'...]