[plt-dev] some Racket proposals & implementation

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 2 19:35:03 EDT 2010

Support for keyword and optional arguments would be good. I don't think
I'd extend the auto-field description, but instead have something like

 (define-struct a (w [x (add1 w)] #:y y #:z [z (add1 y)]))

be analogous to defining the constructor as a function

 (lambda (w [x (add1 w)] #:y y #:z [z (add1 y)]) ...)

but with the same selector functions as

 (define-struct a (w x y z))

As another example,

 (define-struct a (w
                   [x (add1 w)]
                   #:y [y #:mutable]
                   #:z [z (add1 y) #:mutable]))

would have a constructor with the same signature as above, but with
mutable `y' and `z' fields.

Some challenges I see:

 * reporting enough static information for `match' to support the right
   syntax for patterns with `a';

 * subtyping of a type whose constructor uses keyword arguments;

 * reflective access to constructors (via `struct-type-make-constructor',
   for example); and

 * printing values when the constructor has keyword arguments.

I think all of these can be addressed, but it's a lot of work (so if
it depends on me, I'm inclined to put it off a while longer).