[plt-dev] Test failure

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 29 23:05:49 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Some change to the test suite has made "quiet.ss" stop printing
> sections after `names'. That makes it more difficult to see where
> the failure happens.

That wasn't the problem -- it's `load-in-sandbox' that stopped showing
the section names, the `names' section is just the last one that is
not done in a sandbox.  Fixing it is easy, "testing.ss" has this line
in the sandbox setup:

    (e `(define real-error-port (quote ,real-error-port)))

and a similar line should be added for `fake-error-port'.

However, looking back at this change, I don't see what it's supposed
to achieve.  The `real-error-port' thing is used in three places:

* In "quiet.ss", it is used to display any real errors; this wasn't
  changed in Jay's commit.

* In "testing.ss" it is used (through `eprintf*') to print section
  headers.

* It is also used by `report-errs', when invoked by "quiet.ss", so the
  error reports will actually show up (since all other reports not
  shown when running the tests through "quiet.ss").

I don't see the point in making the last two go to stdout rather than
stderr.