[plt-dev] 64-Bit PLT Scheme for Windows/Mac

From: Andrew Reilly (andrew-scheme at areilly.bpc-users.org)
Date: Tue Oct 6 18:40:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:23:35AM -0700, John Clements wrote:
> FWIW, it looks to me like Apple has decided to leverage the switch to
> 64 bit to force all GUI developers to start using their Objective C
> bindings. If I understand correctly, this means that moving DrScheme
> to 64-bit will involve many painful changes.

Presumably this is pain that many other folk (for example the
wxWidgets up-stream developers) are also experiencing, so
eventually there should be some appropriate lore and pattern
to lean on.  I notice on the wxWidgets site that there is a
wxOSX/Cocoa that runs in 32 and 64-bit modes at an "alpha"
stage.  I understand that Matthew wants to move away from using
wxWidgets, though.

[OT: I've been wondering how to deal with the change myself.  I
haven't met a description of how to call out to objective-C
methods from C, yet, only the other way around.  Anyone know of
a how-to or tutorial?  Or is the only approach to make a cocoa
application that calls back to the C "main" code somehow
(inverting the call graph).]

Cheers,

--
Andrew