[plt-dev] Re: New forms for requiring files -- poll for opinions and names

From: David Storrs (david.storrs at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 3 16:39:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Yet another option is have `file-in' be some `#%app'-like thing, so
> the above code becomes:
>
>  (require scheme/require
>           (file-up "config.ss")
>           (file-in the-foo-utility)
>           (file-in subsystem1 'blah)
>           (file-in subsystem2 'sheep/goes/meh))

>From the POV of the relative n00b, I'd prefer something that looked
more like this; it reads much cleaner.  However, instead of "file-in",
I would suggest "locate".

1) It's a verb, so it makes clear that there is an action happening.

2) It makes clear that the action has something to do with searching
for something, or looking something up.

3) The analogue to the Unix 'locate' tool will be helpful in
remembering what it does and will help to imply that there is an order
dependency on some code which sets up an index, or otherwise enables
the locate utility to work.  (e.g. FIRST you run the locate.updatedb
indexer, THEN you can do locate.)

--Dks

Posted on the dev mailing list.