[plt-dev] Re: Generated files and co-existing copies of DrScheme

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 20 17:30:29 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

>> The act of unpacking the nightly build will not do so, but the
>> inevitable subsequent act of installing planet packages will.  Thus
>> I'm not sure what the nightly build will save me, in terms of
>> allowing separate copies of PLT Scheme to coexist.
>
> Yes, you have to do the planet part yourself either way.  (But I don't
> see how controlling the addons directory will help there.)

The same way it will help anywhere else.  By directing one nightly
build to install stuff in a different place than the other.  Am I
missing something obvious here about your point?  Because you seem to
be contradicting my original premise, without coming out and saying
so.

Re: command line versus environment, a quick test showed me that, for
instance, mzscheme accepts -X but plt-help does not.  So a "run PLT
executables via script based on $PLTHOME" solution suddenly has to
special case different options for each command.  The nice thing about
environment variables is that the same set works for every command;
extra ones are ignored.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.