[plt-dev] Re: Generated files and co-existing copies of DrScheme

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 20 17:08:29 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> Right, and my point is that moving *consistently* to command-line
> flags is good.  Otherwise, why would -X and -S get added in v4?

Sorry, I gotcha now.  Yes, if PLTCOLLECTS has been supplanted by
command line arguments, then PLTPLANETDIR and PLTADDONDIR should be
too.

>> > How?
>>
>> How else would it work?  Where will it put these things, other than
>> right where the previous build did?
>
> It has only things from the PLT tree, it cannot clobber anything in
> your local directories.

The act of unpacking the nightly build will not do so, but the
inevitable subsequent act of installing planet packages will.  Thus
I'm not sure what the nightly build will save me, in terms of allowing
separate copies of PLT Scheme to coexist.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.