[plt-dev] Re: Generated files and co-existing copies of DrScheme

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 17 16:55:30 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> That's a bunch of issues, and three proposals: (1) set up PLTUSERDIR
> to control placement of Planet and Scribble generated files, (2) pick
> a conventional place in the PLT tree for users to store it who can and
> wish to do so, and (3) longer term, think about a way to fit
> development link code into this story.  So -- what do the rest of you
> developer folks think?

I did #1 and #2 on a branch
(http://svn.plt-scheme.org/plt/branches/cce/plt+addon-dir).  I updated
the C implementation of (find-system-path 'addon-dir) to first check
the PLTADDONDIR environment variable; Planet and Scribble both use the
addon-dir, so it seems to be the right point of control.  I also
updated the Scribble documentation for find-system-path, and added an
svn:ignore property for $PLTHOME/add-on as a canonical place for
in-tree add-on directories.

I have built the PLT tree with PLTADDONDIR set (which put scribble
files in the custom add-on directory), run `planet show' (which
constructed and queried a planet cache in the custom add-on
directory), and run $PLTHOME/collects/tests/run-automated-tests.ss
(which succeeded).  All of this was on Mac OS X.

Does anyone object if I move this to the trunk?  Is there anything I
need to do first (e.g. testing on other platforms)?  I have attached
the relevant patch for the trunk if anyone wants to try this change
without grabbing the whole branch.

--Carl