[plt-dev] component delivery, a social experiment

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 10 13:58:05 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> I, for one, am quite happy that we have a nightly build and hope that
> we continue to have it. I suspect that anyone that uses Windows and
> wants to keep up from SVN also benefits, since building under Windows
> is not an easy thing to do (unlike the other platforms we support).

I know other people who use the nightly build regularly on Windows.
And the nightly build docs are quite valuable.  I've also benefited
from the nightly build catching bugs that I've introduced.

> I don't think the option two below you mention is feasible, simply
> because removing the file is likely to break the build in some other
> way. But perhaps we can have some other Bad Thing that happens (public
> blame anyone?) when someone breaks the build that would help get us
> back in shape quickly.

It would be nice if DrDr could check this information, especially once
DrDr is down to zero errors normally.

> PS: for the record, I complained twice to Eli about the currently
> broken build, once when I noticed it because I wanted to point someone
> to recent docs and then later when someone else contacted me about it.
> So "no one noticed" is just plain wrong.

I also noticed, because I wanted to point to the recent docs, and
mentioned this to Eli.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu