[plt-dev] lessons learned

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 22 18:38:58 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> * Running setup-plt after every commit is usually fine, but in some
>  cases it might be an issue.  As an approximation, running `make' on
>  the existing build directory is good when any C file changes, and
>  running setup-plt when other files change -- but in addition, you'll
>  want to clear things up when the version changes.  Also, it will be
>  good to periodically (daily or weekly, maybe?) remove everything and
>  start from a fresh checkout.

This is a good point, though I suggest going even farther.  Unless it
is completely infeasible, if we want to be able to trust that reported
errors arise from the associated revision number, each build should be
a fresh checkout, and all cached planet / scribble build information
(the stuff that lives in ~/Library/PLT Scheme/ on Macs, elsewhere on
other platforms) should be removed.

Of course, that "completely infeasible" might shoot this suggestion down.

--
Carl Eastlund