[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 5 10:29:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On May 5, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>> Quick instructions:
>>  From this directory (where the `README' and `configure' files are),
>>  run the following commands:
>>   mkdir build
> When you automate this (as I have done in some script), you may wish to do
> something like this:
> TARGET="build:`date | sed -e"s/ /_/g"`"
> mkdir "$TARGET"
> or whatever trick you know to make a unique directory.

Why?  If you want a fresh build, why leave the old "build:yesterday"
around?  If you don't, why not reuse your build directory?  This seem
like it just creates more clutter (that svn is not even set to ignore,

Carl Eastlund

Posted on the dev mailing list.