[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 1 20:20:00 EDT 2009

On May  1, John Clements wrote:

> On May 1, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> > The problem with this, so that it's now turned around:
> >
> > 1. Select (or create) a build directory.  It is better to run the
> >    build in a different directory rather than use this directory.
> >
> > This reads like a specific instruction to create a build
> > directory.  It's an option that is very useful for people who will
> > hold the directory for a long time, but these people are still a
> > minority.  Most people will compile from source once, or will
> > compile from source once after every release.
>
> So what? Does it matter if everyone creates a build directory?

It only matters in being more complicated than it could be.  You only
need a brief look at Matthew's version of the file to know that

  ./configure; make; make install

should work as expected, and I think that it is desirable to keep this
property.  (But just to clarify, the README file is something that
Matthew writes and maintains, so I don't want to commit a change that
I'm not willing to defend personally.)