[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 1 17:17:22 EDT 2009

Can we please add this advice to the src/README file?  There are so
many esoteric options explained in there, but the one thing that
doesn't show up is our convention of creating the src/build/ directory
for in-place builds.  New developers shouldn't have to learn this
practice by word-of-mouth.

This is important enough -- and the README file detailed enough --
that we may even want a step between the current 0 (remove old PLT
installation) and 1 (run configure) for creating/choosing a build
directory, including a default suggestion of src/build/ and followed
up by some of the discussion currently under configure.  Otherwise
users trying for a "quick-start in-place build" may miss the
discussion currently buried at the end of the "configure" section.

--Carl