[plt-dev] Re: Pre-Release Checklist for v4.1.5, second call

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 19 15:06:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Carl Eastlund <carl.eastlund at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do wish there were a way to specify an upper limit on the version
>> number with which a package is compatible, just like we have a lower
>> limit.  That way users would get an error message stating clearly that
>> the cce/scheme:1:3 dependency was broken in PLT 4.1.5, instead of an
>> error about uncertified contexts.  I could remove cce/scheme:1:3 from
>> the server (make it unavailable), but that breaks code for users still
>> in 4.1.4 or earlier who can use it without problem.  Right now all I
>> can do is leave the current error message and explain it to users when
>> it comes up.
>
> Oh, if that would solve the problem, then yes, that sounds better.

Which of the three alternatives did you mean?  The only one that looks
like a complete solution to me (upper limits on PLT version numbers
for planet packages) is currently unimplemented, and I doubt it would
get into the release even if someone wrote it right now.  The other
two leave some subset of users unsatisfied (either without code or
without a useful error message).  I mean, realistically I probably
have to choose the last option and just explain the error message as
people run into it, but I don't feel that this truly solves the
problem.

--
Carl Eastlund