[plt-dev] overriding constructor style printing

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 7 15:06:53 EST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:57 PM, Felix S Klock II wrote:

> Perhaps my choice of terminology was poor (even though I consider
> it standard, even in the dynamic language community).  How about:
> "In general, the designer of an abstract class of data wants to
> only provide an abstract view of that class."

No, this use of constructor-style printing is good for students and
good in general.

Showing students an 'abstract' view in a Scheme class is also fine. I
just haven't thought thru the implications for design.

;; ---

Clu is typed and Liskov/Guttag are "type guys" (though I doubt they
understood the connection between types and proofs and soundness).

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.