[plt-dev] reading symbols beginning with colon as keywords?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Jun 15 05:22:37 EDT 2009

Dave Gurnell wrote at 06/15/2009 04:50 AM:
> Changing things now (or in the future) for the sake of a single
> character would be lots of work for very little gain.

My followup message was worded poorly.  I'm not advocating *switching*.
I would very much like ":" to be *added* a shorthand or alternative for
"#:", while continuing to support "#:".  (I appreciate the concern that
the language not be bloated with two ways to do it, however, and I'm not
sure how to resolve that.)

Describing why I think "#:" is so bad is difficult when there's a wide
range of inclinations towards the *visual* (as opposed to, say, the
*verbal*).  One tack that might work: should argument names visually
dominate operation names?

If someone has use of a facility with gaze-tracking, I think you can get
at least a CS MS thesis out of this question, and then do your doctoral
work on visual/perceptual and cognition aspects of programming language
syntax.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/