[plt-dev] Re: [plt-scheme] SchemeUnit confusion

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 9 10:08:59 EDT 2009

Absolutely. So you could have something like:

   - libraries are all distributed as versioned packages;

   - a PLT distribution is a PLT core, plus a bunch of bundled core
packages;

   - require statements pull packages from the default distribution by
default,
      or from PLaneT if they're not present;

   - adding version numbers to require statements can pull newer
versions of
      packages straight from PLaneT.

Something like that anyway. I don't know if this is a correct or
feasible approach.

-- Dave

> Sorry, I understand that part. And I do want to turn DrScheme
> into an OS and Planet into a regular "software update" process
> so you can get the latest pieces when they are released.
>
> I just didnt understand the scenario that was dealt with.
>
>> Well, if you look at the larger picture of a community-wide
>> synchronized release of everything that is currently in planet, that
>> is clearly untenable. So there is some value in letting things move
>> independently. Another thing to compare to is OS releases. Perhaps we
>> should be spending more manpower on planet and everything outside of
>> mzscheme and a few core libraries should move there. Then, a major
>> release corresponds to picking a set of version numbers from planet
>> and packaging them into a single distributable.

Posted on the dev mailing list.