[plt-dev] What happened to configure --prefix on MacOS?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 2 08:46:09 EDT 2009

At Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:41:48 -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've been extremely
> busy of late and haven't really been reading the PLT lists.
>
> I just did an "svn up" followed by "mkdir build; cd build; ../src/configure
> --prefix=$HOME/Applications/plt", only to learn that configure no longer
> supports --prefix on OS X.
>
> What's going on here?  How do I do a non-in-place build?

You should have received the following error message:

 ERROR: --prefix not allowed for a Mac OS X build, unless either
          --enable-xonx is supplied (to create a Unix-style
            build), or
          --enable-macprefix is supplied (to allow a Mac-style
            installation, even though --prefix is normally used
            for Unix-style installations)

So, you want `--enable-macprefix'.

We disabled `--prefix' by default on Mac OS X, because it doesn't quite
produce the layout that a Unix user would expect. The `--enable-macprefix'
flag lets you use `--prefix' anyway.

Posted on the dev mailing list.