[plt-dev] pgsql package

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 29 21:38:35 EDT 2009

Ryan Culpepper wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply, Dave!
>>
>> The encoding of my database is SQL_ASCII which, IIUC, means that the
>> bug really is in the SCheme code side for putting the data in one way
>> and expecting it to come out the other way.
>
> The server has a communication encoding separate from the storage
> encodings of the actual databases. Communication should happen in UTF-8,
> and the server should convert data as necessary on storage and retrieval.

... except that, apparently, if the server "encoding" is SQL_ASCII, then
the data is not transcoded before transmission. So the server might be
sending out byte sequences that aren't valid according to the client
encoding. Grrr!

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/multibyte.html
http://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20070528.055039.01552121.ja.html

>> I don't suppose you (or anyone!) could recommend how this should work?
>> If I change the encoding to latin-1 and then change it to utf-8 and
>> then change it back to SQL_ASCII, woudl htat effectively translate the
>> entire database to utf-8?
>
> I don't know if that would help anything.

I think I was wrong... changing the encoding of the database to UTF8
seems like it might fix it. I don't know if you can change it in-place,
though. I found some recommendations for converting the database here:

http://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=190333

Ryan

Posted on the dev mailing list.