[plt-dev] searching for bitmap% via f1 on mac os x

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 28 09:57:01 EST 2009

At Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:42:28 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > You are right, though, that the cost is negligible and as long as it
> > works correctly nobody cares about the implementation. I was just
> > curious why the special OS API is used to open URLs on Windows but
> > not on MacOS X.
>
> That's easy: `shell-execute' on Windows is not one random function, it
> is a generic way to "start stuff", so it's part of mred.

I think the same is true of Launch Services, actually, and probably
MzScheme should support it like ShellExecute. I'll look into that
sometime soon.

(The last time I considered the OS support for opening items, the
answer on Mac OS was AppleEvents. So, obviously, it has been a while
since I looked at this.)

Posted on the dev mailing list.